Re: [SLE] Grub question
  • From: BandiPat <penguin0601@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 08:36:05 -0400
On Monday 03 July 2006 04:22, Marius Roets wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I have little experience with boot loaders, so I think this question
> might be elementary. I have 2 partitions, one with Suse 10.0 and one
> with 10.1. 10.1 was installed last, and I was using it's version of
> Grub (which detected 10.0, and added it to the boot list). This was
> all good, until I did an online update of 10.0. This caused 10.0 to
> write it's own version of Grub to the MBR (if this is how it works).
> My enthusiasm was not dampened by this, I just decided to add 10.1 to
> Grub's menu.lst of 10.0. However, Grub is smarter than me, and on
> reboot simply removes the entry to 10.1. What to do now.
>
> I would like to either:
> 1) Add 10.1 to the boot list of 10.0's Grub, AND have it remain there
> after reboot, or
> 2) Re-install 10.1's Grub to the MBR.
>
> Also I would like to know how I could avoid this problem with future
> updates.
>
> Currently I am unable to boot 10.1
>
> Apologies if my techno lingo is not quite correct, I only have a
> passing knowledge of how these things work.
>
> Thanks
> Marius

Marius,
You can do one of two things. First, boot the computer from the CD1/DVD
of 10.1 to use to rewrite the mbr and restore the 10.1 Grub setup.
Second, edit the file, /boot/grub/menu.lst to add your 10.1 to the
present Grub menu.

Those are the two I would work with, but others may know of more.

regards,
Lee