[SLE] Apache PHP modules
  • From: Peter Bradley <apvx95@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 18:57:10 +0100
I'm running SuSE 10.0 on AMD Athlon 64 x 2 with Apache 2.0.x and PHP 5.0.4 with MySql 4.1.x

Both Apache and PHP5 run fine in the sense that I can connect to localhost and get the Apache default page, and I can put a basic php page in the document root and Apache knows how to deal with it (e.g. I can run the standard <?php phpinfo(); ?> page).

They were installed via YaST and updated via YOU. I haven't used anything else.

I noticed I had a problem when I tried to write a script that connected to MySql. PHP reported an error saying it could not find the myql_*() functions. On investigation, I found that the apache2 error_log was full of warnings of the form:

"PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/lib64/php/extensions/xxxx' - /usr/lib64/php/extensions/xxxx: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0"

... where 'xxxx' represents the module in question, for example, the warning for mysql read:

"PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/lib64/php/extensions/mysql' - /usr/lib64/php/extensions/mysql: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0"

In short, not one PHP extension is loading because the required file is not found.

On investigation, I find that /usr/lib64/php/extensions contains shared object files (*.so). The files being reported as not found in the apache2 error_log appear to be executables that are located in /usr/lib64/php5/extensions.

Does anyone know if I've diagnosed the problem correctly, and - more importantly, I guess - how I can solve it?

Many thanks

Peter