Re: [SLE] Multiple gateways
On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 21:54:58 -0300
Thiago Vinhas <thiago@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem in a customer which I was been working on all
> day with no progress...
>
> This customer has one synchronous cyclades pc300 card, up and
> running directly with a public IP provided by the backbone.
> They also have a ethernet card configured as another public IP
> provided by an ISP.
>
> The problem is that when I set the default gateway with the
> router where the synchronous card is connected, the interface
> where I have another public IP cannot be reached by outside
> connections.

Most likely, it's not true, they can reach it, but the packets
do not know how to go back.

> The same happens if I change the default gateway
> to the other router (the one of the second connection), and if
> I put both default gateways at the same time.
>
> Does anyone has a clue on how to make this work? I don't want
> load balancing, or anything like that. I just want to have
> this two connections working.

This is not a server issue but a routing issue. There are
various ways of dealing this is standard problem, but how will
depend on the routers and their language.

Personally, I would:

1. Use a routing protocol: RIP, EIGRP, OSPF...
2. Create a virtual interface with HSRP

The routers will do the rest of the job.

--
Thanks
http://www.911networks.com