Re: [SLE] Multiple gateways
  • From: Michael James <Michael.James@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 12:27:50 +1000
On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 11:58 am, Thiago Vinhas wrote:

> The problem is that I don't have any "real" router.
> I just have a linux box, with one ethernet interface,
> and one hdlc using a cyclades pc300 card.

Don't fall for Cisco propaganda.
If you have 2 IP interfaces on a decent Linux box
you have a router as capable as any.

"Default gateway" doesn't work on a box with 2 interfaces,
it has to understand enough about a packet
to decide which to use when either would do.

The 2 acronyms I know of are
Border Gateway Protocol and OSPF.
(Open Shortest Path First?...)

Configuring them is not a trivial exercise
you might want to hire some help.

michaelj

--
Michael James michael.james@xxxxxxxx
System Administrator voice: 02 6246 5040

No matter how much you pay for software,
you always get less than you hoped.
Unless you pay nothing, then you get more.