Re: [SLE] Multiple gateways
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 08:31:01 +0200
Thiago Vinhas wrote:

> This customer has one synchronous cyclades pc300 card, up and running
> directly with a public IP provided by the backbone. They also have a
> ethernet card configured as another public IP provided by an ISP.
>
> The problem is that when I set the default gateway with the router
> where the synchronous card is connected, the interface where I have
> another public IP cannot be reached by outside connections. The same
> happens if I change the default gateway to the other router (the one
> of the second connection), and if I put both default gateways at the
> same time.

You cannot have two default gateways. Even if you could configure it,
you'd always get the first one.

> Does anyone has a clue on how to make this work? I don't want load
> balancing, or anything like that. I just want to have this two
> connections working.

So, to sum up your situation - you have one box with 2 NICs, both with
public IP addresses, but on two different networks. You want all local
outbound traffic go over NIC1, but you still want to accept inbound
traffic over NIC2. Is that about right?

The problem might be that inbound traffic coming pver NIC2 does not go
back over NIC2, but over NIC1 instead? Like MindBender says, check
out http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich