Re: [SLE] Grub and mirrored root disk
  • From: "Joe Morris (NTM)" <Joe_Morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 07:13:44 +0800
Joachim Schrod wrote:
> I have two questions:
>
> 1) Do you know if a SUSE installation does something special when GRUB
> is used for mirrored disks? Does it install stage1 in both MBRs or
> only in one MBR?
AFAIK, it only installs it to the first disk. Check /boot/grub/menu.lst
and /etc/grub.conf.

> 2) Independently of my first question, are there recommendations how
> to handle the situation? Shall I do the GRUB-setup for hd1, like I did
> for hd0?
That is what I have always done. I don't have a separate /boot anymore
since booting a root raid1 works. And since the BIOS is designed to
boot from one drive, it works fine to boot from the MBR of the first
drive most of the time. One gotcha I have run into is if the boot order
is changed in BIOS, it changes the order Grub sees the disks. I don't
yet know what would happen on my newer motherboard that instead of
booting the first disk it boot the HD in a particular order, and if
drive one failed, would grub still boot from the second. So, a kernel
upgrade doesn't really affect the grub install if it was done correctly
in the first place. Also, I have added a second menu item that boots
from the second disk when the first dies. There is a RAID1 and Grub
howto out there that also explains this. You can add a fallback entry
to menu.lst to auto boot the second if the first fails. HTH.

--
Joe Morris
Registered Linux user 231871