[SLE] Yast destroyed
  • From: Wolfgang Klameth <klameth@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 08:27:46 +0200
During an usual update with "online update" or "system update", yast programs and libraries where destoyed - the update deleted packages - I fear I cannot describe exactly how it happend, I remember it did not inform me very much about what the system wanted to do.

But: I cannot restore the lost packages. When I boot the system, I have no yast, also not in character mode. Rug also does not work - it aborts when I start the program.

I tried to update the installation from the CD. At first everything works fine, but there is a conflict, that I cannot resolve: the window with the message about the conflicting packages opens: it says something about libzypp-patch...zmdrestart.sh-2.13..... and so. It suggestes that it should be deleted, I mark the option, I retry solving conflicts - and the same message appears - no way out. I then made rpm -qa|grep libzyp - there is no such package.

I apologize about the vague description. But is ther a possibilite to repair the system (the automatic repair from the CD does not work, because at the end it tries to start yast from the installed system - and it aborts of course)? The system is running, only yast and the update part does not work.

I think I could try to install the lost packages (but I do not know, what is missing) with rpm from somewhere. But from where?

Otherwise I would have to install the system newly.

The system is Suse 10.1.

Thank you in advance
W.Klameth