Re: [SLE] NIS on Windows and Linux
  • From: Joachim Schrod <jschrod@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 18:18:50 +0200
Catherine wrote:

I'm trying to set up a network to run NIS across a variety of machines
(SuSE 10.1, Mandriva 10, Windows XP Pro) and I was wondering this was
possible; a search didn't bring me a lot of results . Has anyone had
any experience of setting this up, and were there any specific issues
I should be aware of?

You have already been told that it won't work with Windows.

Set up the server first.
Edit /var/yp/securenets to specify the IP addresses of your clients.
See that it runs and test it with ypcat -h hostname passwd
Specify the server at your clients in /etc/yp.conf.
Test proper ypbind setup with ypwhich.
Set up a slave server if you really rely on NIS.

IMHO it is advisable not to use the passwd files from /etc as source data for NIS. Instead it's better to place them in /var/yp/etc. Otherwise, on the YP servers these accounts are available both local and via NFS, and that can lead to inconsistencies and hard-to-debug problems.
/var/yp/Makefile must be changed to support that.

There is a big disadvantage, though: If one uses /var/yp/etc, useradd(8) (and by extension, yast2) can not be used for user management any more. One has to use an editor, just like in the old times... :-)

Cheers,
Joachim