[SLE] CD-changer drives.
  • From: pelibali <pelibali@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 20:24:45 +0200
Hi,

I received two CD-changer apparatuses for free and would like to setup
both on my SUSE 9.1 system, mainly for testing/learning purposes. The
first drive is an internal one with IDE and 6x CD-changer (manuf. in
1997); the second one is a "NEC Multispin 4Xc, CDR-C302" external SCSI
drive for 7CDs (made in 1995).

For the external SCSI one I have no cable at present, but the internal
one with IDE I attempted to test already. I inserted it as primary
slave with no problems and loading the 6 CDs went also OK; each LEDs
above the keys responsible for each tray were lit, but "only" yellow.
Under Linux in fact I saw the drive itself, but couldn't manage to
really listen to music in any way, because no audio CD was found.
Maybe the state of the yellow LEDs showed the same, could be that
green is the winner...

Do I have chance under Linux to really use the drives I just described
or do I need anything in addition (win?) to use them?! Is there a
trick out there for these kind of oldies, or likely the previous
owner's own description for them as "fully functional" could be just a
(slight) exaturation?! Yeah, forgot to mention that none of the drives
have play button, so likely dependent on the OS.

Thank you,
Pelibali