Re: [SLE] NEW kernel.
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 21:59:36 -0400
Peter Van Lone wrote:
> On 7/5/06, James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> James Knott wrote:
>>
>> Finally figured it out. It sure would be nice if it were documented
>> somewhere.
>>

> of course, you could document it, by simply posting here what you
> figured out ...
>
> :-)

Is documenting stuff in Linux allowed? ;-)

I was trying to use the server and directory boxes, which no matter how
I tried, simply wouldn't work. I then noticed an option for using the
URL, which does work.

I had searched the on line help for installation source and nothing
close turned up.

Now, if they'd only fix Yast, so that it's not so d*mn slow. When I was
finally able to add in that source, it took several minutes to
complete, with top showing the process using up to 87% of CPU and almost
30% of memory. There's absolutely no excuse for such horrible
performance that renders my computer useless for almost 15 mins. This
is on my ThinkPad, with 1.13 GHz P3 and 384 MB. On my AMD 64 system, it
is of course faster, but still unacceptably slow. I certainly hope they
fix Yast soom, because the current version is a real piece of sh*t. How
could they take something that worked well in previous versions and turn
it into such garbage???