Re: [SLE] Installation SUSE 10.1 does not prompt request for CD2, CD3, CD4..
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 15:18:09 +0200
Hans Krueger wrote:

> Per Jessen wrote:
>> It won't help you much, but like I said, I've got 10.1 running on a
>> number of systems - five 400MHz PIIs, two brandnew IBM Thinkpads, a
>> couple of Compaq 4-way servers, plus some miscellaneous Pentium4
>> systems. I install using the mini-ISO or from USB (for the laptops).
>> I've seen one or two minor problems (with existing
>> solutions/workarounds), but the install has always worked just fine.
>>

>> /Per Jessen, Zürich
>>

> how did you do the usb install ?

I've got the complete inst-source tree downladed, and I install over
NFS.
in boot/i386/, you'll find a perl-script called mkbootdisk - you use
that to put the installation system on your USB-stick - 64M is plenty
of space, by the way.

mkbootdisk --32 --partition /dev/sda1 <inst-source>
(/dev/sda1 is my USB-stick).

Then you boot your system-to-be-installed from this USB-stick.
The actual installation from USB-stick is not much different to
installing from CD.

/Per Jessen, Zürich