Re: [SLE] Disappointed with SLED 10 KDE
  • From: Shriramana Sharma <samjnaa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 20:50:41 +0530
In a follow-up, I installed the GNOME system too and actually worked in SLED
10 (both KDE and GNOME) for half an hour.

The only visible difference in GNOME from KDE is that the menu system is
different aka intended to be more powerful but I did not really like to open
a new window to access all apps.

Another general difference is that the icon scheme is more serious Fedora-type
than in SUSE regular. For example, you won't see a pineapple in YaST. The
colours of the icons are also not vibrant, which I always like. (I don't
think they would distract anyone so I don't understand the reason behind
de-vibrant-ing the colours.)

Personally, I like SUSE-R (as I call SUSE-regular) better. More fun. SLED is
more somber, and is biased towards GNOME, which is another big reason for me
to dislike it.

http://www.novell.com/linux/comparative.html does not list any (important)
functional differences between SLED and SUSE-R, and so I think I will stick
with SUSE-R.

SLED will stay on my HDD for a week, maybe. Then it goes.

--

Tux #395953 resides at http://samvit.org
playing with KDE 3.53 on SUSE Linux 10.1