Re: [SLE] no patches for newly installed 10.1 instalation
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 16:22:48 +1000
HG wrote:
Hi!

On 7/1/06, Ken Schneider <suse-list2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 2006-07-01 at 22:07 +0700, C. Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
> Have tried to find an answer as to why I do not find patches for my fresh
> installed 10.1.

I have the same thing. Installed the 10.1 i386 system day before
yesterday and now, no batches.

Did you "Register" the system or add a YOU repository manually? This is
required in order to get updates.

Heh, by registering, you mean what? Do you mean that "Online Update
Configuration" in YaST? I had been wondering what the heck it is
doing... and I just noticed that it runs /sbin/yast2
inst_suse_register &. Is that what you mean by registering?

Well, I've done that now about 5 times. Still nothing in the updates.
So, it can not be that, right?

BTW, have you guys counted how many updates you have in the YaST? You have:
1) Online Update
2) Online Update Configuration
3) Online Update Setup
4) Patch CD Update
5) System Update
... how do you think newbies like that? Specially as the Configuration
(registering?) doesn't do anything visible. Online Update Setup only
said that it (update) will be done by cron job (what if I do _not_
want to have automatic updates?) and online update takes about 3 or 4
minutes to do anything (I thought the system hang) and them comes up
with no updates (which seems very unlikely).

I thought I'd get over this by installing smart. So I did. But
contrary to other installations, I did not get any channels for it. I
have no idea why. So now even smart can not find the updates.

I'd also like to know from where to get the updates...?

There is now an update to smart and the 4 packages (which were sent to me) are:

file:///temp0/smart-0.42-1.guru.suse101.i686.rpm
file:///temp0/smart-addons-0.42-1.guru.suse101.i686.rpm
file:///temp0/smart-gui-0.42-1.guru.suse101.i686.rpm
file:///temp0/smart-ksmarttray-0.42-1.guru.suse101.i686.rpm

These contain all that you need to get started.

You will find them at-

http://linux01.gwdg.de/~pbleser/rpm-navigation.php?cat=/System/smart

Put these 4 packages into a seperate, temporary directory.

Before you install them, DELETE the installed smart on your system (in Yast, Software Management) then, as ROOT, install these 4 rpms with 'rpm -Uvh *.rpm' .

On thing I discovered about how to get smart to work correctly is that when you boot the system and then logon as the user, you will get a message on the screen from KDE asking you to type in the root password for the smart taskbar icon to 'activate' or whatever. Do not type in the root password but select IGNORE option. Doing this will make smart work OK: when there are updates available and you click on the smart icon in the taskbar THEN you enter the root password and smart will go on to update the system.

Cheers.

--
"It is well known that among the blind, the one-eyed man is king".

Desiderius Erasmus