Re: [SLE] NIS on Windows and Linux
  • From: Louis Richards <louis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 05:10:05 -0400
On Thursday 06 July 2006 10:20 pm, Ken Gramm wrote:
<snip>
> Of course, if you're asking on this list, you probably don't have (or
> want) a MS server. In which case, I believe Maarten is correct, there
> isn't a NIS client for Windows. Besides for white papers and rumors,
> the only other login client I know of for Windows is Novell's NDS
> client.
<more snip>

Why not just mix NIS and Samba?

From smb.conf:

passwd program = /usr/bin/nispasswd
passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *new*password* %n\n *successfully*
unix password sync = Yes
encrypt passwords = Yes

The /usr/bin/nispasswd script updates the NIS tables on a password change. You
would most likely have to modify the chat script, as this is on an older
Fedora box.

This box works as a PDC for the Windows boxes and an NIS server for the rest.
I have been using Webmin for user management because it updates /etc/files,
NIS, and Samba all at once when making changes.

All that being said ... ldap would be a better choice.

--
Louis Richards