Re: [SLE] konqueror and fish://
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 05:57:35 -0700
Per,

On Friday 07 July 2006 02:41, Per Jessen wrote:
> Having recently discovered fish:// for konqueror, I've been trying
> out a few things. It's interesting to note that while some
> applications work just fine with remote files via fish://, others
> such as openoffice and gimp do not. Does anyone know if the
> application has to especially built to work with fish:// ?

The application probably cannot seek(2) a fish: stream, so if it needs
random access to the file, it probably won't work.

Also, I don't think this is a kernel-resident facility, so applications
presumably have to use a particular library or libraries for file
selection and access in order to get the intervention necessary to make
the transparent fish protocol work.

But that's just a hunch / guess.

> /Per Jessen, Z├╝rich

Randall Schulz