Re: [SLE] NEW kernel.
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 23:53:37 +1000
Ralph Ellis wrote:
On Friday 07 July 2006 01:44, Basil Chupin wrote:
Ralph Ellis wrote:
On Tuesday 04 July 2006 22:20, Basil Chupin wrote:
Fred A. Miller wrote:
Soon, SUSE SHOULD have a NEW kernel for update! There are some nice
things in it, like performance improvements. But, for laptop users, for
the first time, and FINALLY, there is some Broadcom wi-fi support.

Fred
Any progress on this that you are aware of Fred?

Cheers.

--
"It is well known that among the blind, the one-eyed man is king".

Desiderius Erasmus
The latest that I know about is 2.6.16.20-2
I have been running it for about a week without problems. It seems to be
a bit faster. I tried it on my laptop as well but I use a lan connection
there so I can't let you know if the wi-fi support works also.
The kernel in its various forms in available at:

http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/suse
/

Happy tinkering
Ralph Ellis
Many thanks, Ralph. I have now installed this latest kernel.

It seems to me that it now works a bit faster than the earlier versions
- but I may be wrong.

Cheers.

--
"It is well known that among the blind, the one-eyed man is king".

Desiderius Erasmus
I have found that most of the updates from the factory area have both increased speed and stability. However, installing from there is a gamble. I am fortunate that I have disk imaging software so if I do mess things up, I just blow away the installation with the last saved disk image. I do find that anything to do with the kernel or xorg requires a re install of the video drivers but other than that everything is working well.
Ralph Elllis

So far everything is working AOK, and the kernel does make things run faster. Reinstalling the video driver is the norm; I'm used to it and now it only takes me just a couple of minutes to have a new (nvidia) driver compiled.

I back only a select list of "criticals" to an external HD and if things do go wrong I simply reinstall the complete system and use the backed-up bits. But I must consider doing what you are doing (a disk image) as I do have the capacity to do it.

Cheers.