Re: [SLE] konqueror and fish://
  • From: "Mark A. Taff" <marktaff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 10:24:13 -0700
On Friday 07 July 2006 02:41, Per Jessen wrote:
> Having recently discovered fish:// for konqueror, I've been trying out a
> few things. It's interesting to note that while some applications work
> just fine with remote files via fish://, others such as openoffice and
> gimp do not. Does anyone know if the application has to especially
> built to work with fish:// ?
>

> /Per Jessen, Z├╝rich

In order for an app to use fish:// (or *any* other KIO slave, they have to use
the KIO class for working with files. Most KIO slaves take the remote file,
copy it to a local tmp directory, and use it from there.

Basically, the app asks KIO for the file, KIO does the heavy network lifting,
and passes the data on the the application.

So a gnome app that doesn't use KIO won't work with fish. But a gnome app
*could* detect if it was running in KDE, and use KIO slaves in that event,
which is likely what acrobat does.

HTH,

Mark