Re: [SLE] CD-Drive problem
  • From: "Derek J. Carr" <Derek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 17:05:02 +0100
Carl William Spitzer IV wrote:

On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 11:11 +0100, Derek J. Carr wrote:

Carl William Spitzer IV wrote:

On Sat, 2006-06-17 at 17:47 +0100, Derek J. Carr wrote:

Hello,

My second CD/DVD-ROM drive is giving me a problem. SUSE 10.1 KDE. If I
insert an audio disk I get no sound. If I insert a data disk, I get the
following Konquerer error message:

"Method "Mount" with signature "sass" on interface
"org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume" doesn't exist

Can anyone help?

Best regards, Derek J. Carr, Birmingham UK

Seems you can only have one sound card connector and yours in on the
other drive. Try something simpler grip the music on the problem drive.

As to the mount try disabling the auto mount.

I tried disabling the auto mount, but it didn't stick. However, the mounting problem seems to have sorted itself out after I did that, although it still auto mounted.

It does make sense that only one CD can be playing at once, but I'd rather it was the DVD-ROM that was the player, rather than the DVD-RAM.

Then switch the sound card connector to the preferred machine.
I'm not sure how I'd do that.
BTW why
not a full DVDRW with dual layer ability that way you can use the
Install DVD which is dual layer.

That's what it is, I think, but the computer identifies it as DVD-RAM, since it's also able to read/write DVD-RAM disks. I've installed from the 6 downloaded CD images, though. I'm still not sure if I'll commit fully to Linux. There are a lot of issues regarding maintenance that are very hard, and I don't have time to spend on it at the moment. I'll learn little by little and perhaps later might feel comfortable with it. Most of my work is with Windows XP for now.

CWSIV

With best regards, Derek Carr,
Birmingham, UK
http://alldruid.co.uk/