Re: [SLE] mount: only root can mount /dev/hdd on /media/dvdrecorder
  • From: "Hylton Conacher(ZR1HPC)" <hylton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:48:21 +0200
Hi Steve,

steve wrote:
Here is my line from /etc/fstab

/dev/hdd /media/dvdrecorder subfs noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0

How can I make it so that users can access the dvd drive?
Just been reading the fine manual entries of man fstab and man mount pages and saw a possible glitch.

The 'noauto' option makes the device not be mounted at boot. At boot time only root can mount devices, yet later you are asking a non privileged user to mount the device.

Perhaps the user should have root persmissions to access the device?

Quoted from mount:
(iii) Normally, only the superuser can mount file systems. However, when fstab contains the user option on a line, then anybody can mount
the corresponding system.

Thus, given a line
/dev/cdrom /cd iso9660 ro,user,noauto,unhide
Any user can mount the iso9660 file system found on his CDROM.

Check the ORDER of the options ie user is before noauto.

To me this would make a difference as 'noauto' first would mean only root can mount the device however with 'user' first the user would be given preferential treatment over root?

Hope it helps

Hylton