RE: [SLE] Software Updater not working
  • From: "Greg Wallace" <gregwallace@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 10:48:03 -0500
On Saturday, July 01, 2006 @ 1:12 PM, I wrote:

>On Saturday, July 01, 2006 @ 11:49 AM, Bruce Smith wrote:

>>> At one time, the software updater would let me know when new updates
were
>>> available. Now, I have to run YOU manually and check for them because
the
>>> software updater never shows any updates when they are out there. I'm
sure
>>> I didn't make any changes to the software updater to cause it to stop
>>> working, so it must have occurred during one of the upgrades I
downloaded
>>> with it. I can't think of any other reason it would just stop working
like
>>> that. When I look under Services under Configuration, there is nothing
>>> listed there. Maybe that's the problem. Do I need to add a service
here to
>>> get it to start working again? I see you can add YUM, ZYPP, NU, RCE,
>>> Zenworks and a couple of other services. Would adding my YOU
installation
>>> sources to one or more of these Services cause this thing to start
working
>>> again? I'm working completely in the dark here.

>>I'm having exactly the same problem on all 4 of my SuSE 10.1 PC's.

>>Sometimes (not always) I have to go into Installation-Source and
>>deactivate/active the update source for Online-Update to see the
>>updates.

>>All of my PC's were upgrades from SuSE 10.0, FWIW.

>> - BS

>My PC was also an upgrade from 10.0. So, are you saying that by
>deactivating and reactivating "Installation Source"'s that that causes the
>Software Updater to start displaying updates again (i. e., you really don't
>need to add any sources into the Software Updater itself -- it
>automatically picks up the feeds from the sources you have defined under
>"Installation Source"'s)? That would make sense, because I never had any
>YUM, ZIPP, etc. services defined directly under the Software Updater before
>and yet it still notified me when there were updates available. I'll try
>deactivating and activating my sources in Installation-Source and see if
>that starts the S. U. working again. Thanks for the tip.

>Greg Wallace

Well, I tried deactivating all of my installation sources, exiting the
"Installation Source" panel, then going back in and re-activating them.
Still, the Software Updater never shows any updates available. I have to
periodically run YOU to check to see if any are out there. At one time, the
software updater was working. Then, all of a sudden it just stopped. If I
go into "Configure" on the software updater, are there supposed to be
entries in there? I know I never added any before and it was working at one
time, but maybe there were some URI's in there at one point and I just
wasn't aware of it, and they somehow got cleared out. Do I need to add the
same sources from you into the software updater, or should it just work
automatically when there are YOU updates available? It would be nice if I
could get this working again so I don't have to keep manually check for
updates.

Greg Wallace