Re: [SLE] MySql v5 on SuSE 10.0
  • From: Moby <moby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 13:30:44 -0500
Keep in mind the following chain: Apache depends on PHP, PHP depends on MySQL. Updating MySQL can and will have ramifications for packages other than MySQL.

Per Jessen wrote:
Greg Freemyer wrote:
On 7/11/06, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Peter Bradley wrote:

> Ah! I didn't know you could do that.
> How is it done?

Somewhere in YaST I think. I'm not sure

> And is it safe to add version 10.1 packages to a 10.0 system?

Probably :-)

I would not try it.

Why not Greg? If it works, it works - if it doesn't, it doesn't even install. 10.1 and 10.0 are not that fundamentally different.
Given that Peter would rather not build from scratch, but still wants mysql5, trying out the package from 10.1 is a pretty good option, IMHO. Even if it installs and then for some unknown reason still doesn't work, it's easy to delete it, and re-install mysql4 from 10.0.

If you want to add packages from a newer/older version, then download
the source rpm and recompile.

True - but Peter did not want to mess with that.

If you search the archives for my name and ruby (ie. freemyer ruby) I
think you will find instructions on how to do it. (I had to ask, but
now I've forgotten the answer.)

Something like "rpm -bb" ?

/Per

--
--Moby

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me. -- Pastor Martin Niemöller