Re: [SLE] Reinstalling windows
  • From: Rikard Johnels <rikard.j@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 12:31:16 +0200
On Wednesday 12 July 2006 10:41, Kevin Donnelly wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 July 2006 09:08, Basil Chupin wrote:
> > You need to start your computer using a Windows Me, or similar, system
> > boot floppy with fdisk on it. Then issue the command:
> > fdisk /mbr
> > to overwrite the existing master boot record (mbr) with a new, clean one.
>
> You can also use the WinXP CD:
> - boot to recovery console
> - run:
> fixmbr
>
> Depending on the type of drive, you may also need to ensure that the
> Windows partition is toggled to bootable - fdisk will show you the
> partition status.
>
> --
> Pob hwyl / Best wishes
>
> Kevin Donnelly
>
> www.kyfieithu.co.uk - KDE yn Gymraeg
> www.eurfa.org.uk - Geiriadur rhydd i'r Gymraeg
> www.rhedadur.org.uk - Rhedeg berfau Cymraeg
> www.cymrux.org.uk - Linux Cymraeg ar un CD
>
> --

Or boor on the recovery CD, ands issue dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512
count 1024
(The 1024 is overkill but it effectively clears any bootloadera or anything
else in the bootblocks for that matter

Just make sure that
1. The bootsectors are cleared
2. The Bios says boot from CD prior to harddrive
3. If there is a floppydrive on it, that it doesnt boot from that before the
CD and contains a nonbootable disk...

I know this is "kindergarten stuff", but even after 25 years in the game i
still miss those three from time to time. Especially if i am tired...

Is the XP disk really bootable?
Test it in another machine to see if it isnt damaged.
I once battled with a system that refused to boot. It kind of started but hung
everytime.
It boiled down to a bad XP-CD. A test boot on a windows box screamed BAD CD
all over the place..

Also just in case.. Boot from any bootable CD to verify that the CD-drive is
operational and not the culprit.
But i guess as you have allready used it for installing Linux it should be
ok...

--
         /Rikard

email   : rikard.j@xxxxxxxxxx
web     : http://www.rikjoh.com
mob: : +46 (0)763 19 76 25
< 15 28 DF 78 67 98 B2 16 1F D3 FD C5 59 D4 B6 78  46 1C EE 56 >
< Previous Next >