Re: [SLE] Compiling - Can I do this?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 08:36:58 +0200
Bob S wrote:

> On Wednesday 12 July 2006 04:30, Per Jessen wrote:
>> Bob S wrote:
>> > I want to compile a tar.gz file of another application, BUT, I want
>> > compile it as 32 bit. Is that possible? Can I compile in 32 bit
>> > mode on a 64 bit system?
>>
>> Yes. autoconf should figure it all out for you, provided you set the
>> right options, probably for gcc.
>>
> Thanks for replying Per,
>
> Ummmmm....Could you be just a little more specific?? I pored over
> the man/info file on autoconf and it was not immediately obvious to
> me. Can you point me at some how-to?

Hi Bob,

I _knew_ you were going to ask ... sorry, I haven't had to look at this
in any detail, so this might not be any good: - I suspect all you need
to do is supply the right flag to gcc, which you do like this:

CFLAGS=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ./configure --opt=val ....

when you run configure.
Having had a quick look at the gcc man-page, I think you need the 'm32'
option:

-m32
-m64
Generate code for a 32-bit or 64-bit environment. The 32-bit
environment sets int, long and pointer to 32 bits and generates code
that runs on any i386 system. The 64-bit environment sets int to 32
bits and long and pointer to 64 bits and generates code for AMD's
x86-64 architecture.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich

--
ENIDAN Technologies GmbH - managed email-security.
Is _your_ business under attack? http://www.spamchek.com/