RE: [SLE] On-demand caching local mirror?
  • From: "Marlier, Ian" <ian.marlier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 10:37:10 -0400

FUSE
> sort
> of local filesystem.
>
> i.e. The SUSE updates repository.
> 1. Set up a local folder.
> 2. Get the remote file list.
> 3. An app requests a file.
> 4. If in local cache, return file, goto 3
> 5. If not local, and if connection closed, reopen.
> 6. Try to retrieve, then return file, goto 3
> (every so often (on mount, once/day) repeat 2)
>
> The point being that I have multiple machines I want to update, so I
don't
> want to waste bandwidth by a) downloading the kde updates repeatedly,
or b)
> replicating the whole folder with updates for packages I haven't
installed.

> It seems like this would be a sensible addition to SUSE for those of
us
> with
> multiple machines, (applying to virtual ones too.) I've googled, and
gone
> through lots of pages, but I can't find something that operates like
this.
> The closest I seen so far is fuseftp. The two problems I can see with
this
> are
> 1. I think the cache expiry time is specified in seconds, and I can't
see
> if
> there is an indefinate (i.e. passing 0)
> 2. I think it holds the ftp connection open while it is mounted, which
> wouldn't be good for the servers, with people holding connections
open.

> Any suggestions?

I think it sounds like a great idea, personally...

Given the lack of that particular functionality, I think I might try
something like this, though...

`cd /srv/www/htdocs; rsync -arv --delete --exclude=*.ppc*
rsync://suse.mirrors.tds.net/suse/update; chkconfig apache2 on;
/etc/init.d/apache2 start`

And then point at that machine as your update source, from everywhere
else. (and if you didn't want to share it out via http, ftp or nfs
or....)

It does mean that you need to download everything; but you only have to
do it once. And keeping your update tree up-to-date is just a matter of
croning the rsync to run once a day or so.

(One note: I do this, because I have 50 or 60 machines to keep up to
date, running a bunch of different suse versions. If you're just
looking to keep a few, like 3 or 5 or something, updated, then you
probably want to use the public update sites per usual -- rsync can be a
heavy protocol, and using it unnecessarily is generally considered to be
a Bad Thing.)