[SLE] Auto start of Fritz!DSL on SUSE 10
  • From: James Mohr <suse_mailing_list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 23:44:07 +0200
Hi All!

As the title says, I have a Fritz!DSL card on SUSE 10 and I would like to have
start up automatically on boot, which it seems to do. However, when it
starts, the address it has 1) doesn't work 2) confuses me:

dsl0 Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
inet addr:192.168.99.1 P-t-P:192.168.99.99 Mask:255.255.255.255

Where is it getting the address 192.168.99.1?

When I run "/usr/sbin/pppd call t-dsl", I can connect fine and I compared the
values in /etc/ppp/peers/t-dsl with the providers file. Things look fine, as
far as I can tell.

I have found a number of sites that talk about this card and they talk about
running "pppd call" directly. Other sites talk about configuring 1und1 and
Fritz connections through YAST, but seem to always talk about DSL modems and
not internal cards.

Although I wrote a nifty shell script that is init starts out of rc3.d and it
works to start the connection correctly. However, I would really like to
understand what is happening and why I cannot the connection to start up
automatically.

I am also missing some basic knowledge about how the various files work
together. I googled a bit, but all I found was information about specific
problems. So I would be grateful, if someone could point me to a page that
had some basic hand-holding information.

Any info is appreaciated.

Regards,

jimmo
==============
ifcfg-dsl0 looks like this:

BOOTPROTO='none'
PPPD_OPTIONS=''
PPPMODE='capi-adsl'
PROVIDER='einsundeins-dsl'
STARTMODE='auto'
UNIQUE=''
USERCONTROL='no'
VPIVCI=''
NAME='DSL Connection'
DEVICE=''
MODEM_IP='10.0.0.138'

providers/1und1 looks like this:

ASKPASSWORD='no'
AUTODNS='no'
COUNTRY='Germany'
DEFAULTROUTE='yes'
DEMAND='no'
DNS1='212.185.253.9'
DNS2='194.25.2.129'
DSLSUPPORTED='yes'
HOMEPAGE='http://www.einsundeins.de'
IDLETIME='300'
IPADDR=''
ISDNSUPPORTED='no'
MODEMSUPPORTED='no'
MODIFYDNS='no'
MODIFYIP='yes'
PASSWORD='PASSWORD'
PHONE=''
PRODUCT='1&1 Internet.DSL'
PROVIDER='1&1'
REMOTE_IPADDR=''
UIMODE='1und1 DSL DE'
USERNAME='USER@xxxxxxxxxxx'

--
"Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your