Re: [SLE] Problems with Smart
  • From: Ken Schneider <suse-list2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 09:51:54 -0400
On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 14:03 +0200, stephan beal wrote:
> On Saturday 15 July 2006 08:19, Ron Wilson wrote:
> > Smart has filled up my /var system and /opt which is including in
> > same system. It is 2.1Gb but doing an update/upgrade it filled to 100
> > percent. What can I safely delete out of /var is my first question
> > and second is am I doing something wrong in just updating/upgrading
> > the whole caboodle. How big should I make /var in future so that I
> > dont run into this problem again.
> > Thanks
>
> This isn't an answer, but a related tip:
>
> When you delete an open log file, the space for that file is not
> actually freed up. For example:
>
> ~> rm /var/log/messages
>
> That won't do what you expect - the space is not freed until syslog is
> restarted (typically during a reboot).

Actually in openSUSE use rcsyslog reload, no need to reboot.

> A way around this problem, if you need to quickly free up space used by
> open log files:
>
> ~> echo '' > /var/log/messages

"> /var/log/messages" (with out the quote of course) will work as well.
But that is a rather drastic step to take. And if the messages file is
getting that big there may be some other underlying problem that needs
to be fixed or else the messages file will just fillup the filesystem
again.

--
Ken Schneider