Re: [SLE] Almost in a panic here...
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 12:03:53 -0400
yonaton@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Quoting James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>> yonaton@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>>> I'm really starting to get worried that I messed something up very
>>> badly, but I'm hoping that someone out there can help me figure out what
>>> to do to fix it. I'll stay on as root for now to check my mail (I have
>>> no other choice at the moment) as often as possible.
>>>
>>> Thanks to anyone and everyone willing to help me with this problem.
>>
>> As root, can you see /home? Or /home/user? Did you have /home on a
>> separate partition?
>
> I can see a 'home' directory yes, but there's no /home/user when I
> click on it. There's just nothing.
> When I setup my system, I had /home, /, and swap IIRR. So yes, I guess
> it was on its own partition.

If you can see /home, but it's empty, then it's likely not mounted.
You'll have to see if there are any unmounted partitions and see if
that's where /home is. If you find it, just add it into fstab and mount
it. You can use fdisk, to see what partitions are on your disk. Then
try any that are not specifically listed in fstab.