RE: [SLE] Software Management -- "Avail. Ver." vs "Inst. Ver." in 10.1
  • From: "Greg Wallace" <gregwallace@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:24:54 -0500
On Sunday, July 16, 2006 @ 12:26 PM, Carl Hartung wrote:

>On Sunday 16 July 2006 12:30, Greg Wallace wrote:
>> Once upon a time (not sure how many versions back this goes), there were
>> two version columns under Software Management, just as there are now,
><snip>

>Hi Greg,

>The two columns are 'Inst Ver' and 'Avail Ver'.

>If 'Inst Ver' is empty, the package is not installed. If the package is
>available for installation, it appears in the 'Avail Ver' column.

>'Avail Ver' shows the latest version that is available **from the
>installation
>sources you've defined.**

>When 'Avail Ver' > 'Inst Ver' the text in that row turns blue. This means
>you
>*can* update it to the later version.

>When 'Avail Ver' = 'Inst Ver' the text in that row remains black. Nothing
>do in this case.

>When 'Inst Ver' > 'Avail Ver' the text in that row turns red.

>hth & regards,

>Carl

Carl

Are you on 10.1? Do you have any instances where you have different
versions in those columns, either one direction or the other? I believe, in
the old days, that the Avail. version was what was on your installation CD
and the Inst. version was either that version or a later version you had
installed via YOU, isn't that the way it worked? I guess you could have
also installed a version that was earlier than what was shipped on the CD,
but I never did that. Under 10.1, it just doesn't appear to be working that
way any more, but maybe I'm wrong. I say that because I have installed
multiple patches since I first converted to 10.1, and I don't see a single
instance under my summary of packages where the Inst. version is greater
than the Avail. version. Looks sort of like that feature is no longer
working.

Greg W