Re: [SLE] Software Management -- "Avail. Ver." vs "Inst. Ver." in 10.1
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 14:35:52 -0400
On Sunday 16 July 2006 14:24, Greg Wallace wrote:
> Are you on 10.1?

Not regularly ;-) I've decided to let 10.1 'mature' a bit before making it my
'daily desktop' so I'm regularly running 10.0 and keeping my previous 9.3 as
a 'backup'.

The convention I described is as the system works up to and including 10.0.
The important point being that, as you add and remove installation sources,
the module compares what is available on those sources to what is actually
installed. If you remove your original installation source, for example the
DVD, and replace that source with 'factory' (not a recommendation!) the
package versions listed under 'Avail Ver' reflect factory, not your original
installation source. OTOH, if you simply *add* another installation source to
the list and retain the original, 'Avail Ver' will display the latest version
it can find while looking across all of the sources you've defined.

I don't know if this is how things are working (or broken) in 10.1 as I've put
off attempting the transition for a bit.

Carl