RE: [SLE] Software Management -- "Avail. Ver." vs "Inst. Ver." in 10.1
  • From: "Greg Wallace" <gregwallace@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 15:16:14 -0500
On Sunday, July 16, 2006 @ 1:36 PM, Carl Hartung wrote:

>On Sunday 16 July 2006 14:24, Greg Wallace wrote:
>> Are you on 10.1?

>Not regularly ;-) I've decided to let 10.1 'mature' a bit before making it
>my
>'daily desktop' so I'm regularly running 10.0 and keeping my previous 9.3
as
>a 'backup'.

>The convention I described is as the system works up to and including 10.0.

>The important point being that, as you add and remove installation sources,

>the module compares what is available on those sources to what is actually
>installed. If you remove your original installation source, for example the

>DVD, and replace that source with 'factory' (not a recommendation!) the
>package versions listed under 'Avail Ver' reflect factory, not your
original
>installation source. OTOH, if you simply *add* another installation source
>the list and retain the original, 'Avail Ver' will display the latest
>version
>it can find while looking across all of the sources you've defined.

>I don't know if this is how things are working (or broken) in 10.1 as I've
>put
>off attempting the transition for a bit.

>Carl

You raise an interesting point. Back in earlier versions (not sure how far
back, but I think up through 10.0?), you had the single installation source
(your CD's or your DVD) and then you had the patches coming from YOU. Now,
everything is lumped together as installation sources (your DVD/CDs and
whatever mirrors you are going against). That being the case, then maybe
the definition of Avail. vs Inst. is now different. Maybe you'd only have
different numbers there if you went out and looked for updates and then
decided not to install them. Once installed, then avail. will always equal
inst. in that scenario, with avail. constantly being updated along with
inst. In the old world, avail. was just what was on the original CDs/DVDs
and never changed, so you would have different values for those as soon as
you applied a patch to a package. Just speculation on my part, but it would
explain why I never see different numbers in those columns any more.

Greg Wallace