Re: [SLE] Software Management -- "Avail. Ver." vs "Inst. Ver." in 10.1
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 17:06:05 -0400
On Sunday 16 July 2006 16:16, Greg Wallace wrote:
> Now, everything is lumped together as installation sources (your DVD/CDs and
> whatever mirrors you are going against). That being the case, then maybe
> the definition of Avail. vs Inst. is now different.

'Avail Ver' reflects the newest version that YaST can 'see' in in installation
sources you've defined.

'Inst Ver' ("Installed Version") doesn't change unless and until you
downgrade, upgrade or update a package. Note: this value resides in your rpm
database. It doesn't get populated by data from an installation source.

> Just speculation on my part, but it would explain why I never see different
> numbers in those columns any more.

I believe your interpretation of this arrangement in 10.1 is correct. If you
update your system every time an update becomes available, you're keeping the
system 'in sync' with the online repositories. My guess is the field is still
used in cases where you get 'decoupled' from the online repositories and/or
you need to intervene manually.

Carl