Re: [SLE] Software Management -- "Avail. Ver." vs "Inst. Ver." in 10.1
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:12:28 -0400
On Sunday 16 July 2006 21:18, Greg Wallace wrote:
> Ok. So if I'm following you, in the example I gave, if I went out with YOU
> and saw new updates available, canceled out of YOU, and went into Software
> management, I would see the "available" versions for the packages I saw as
> available for update as having a higher version than the installed
> packages.

No, you're conflating 'YaST Online Update' (YOU) with the 'Install and Remove
Software' (later 'Software Management') module.

In prior releases, at least since 8.x and up through 10.0, 'YaST Installation
Sources' (ftp, http, DVD/CD, hard disk directory, etc.) were completely
separate from the YaST Online Update ('YOU') 'patch/update' distribution
process... the former were complete installation sources for the distribution
whereas the latter were devoted exclusively to disseminating security patches
and a small set of optional packages like the MS Truetype fonts, 'Multimedia
Packs' (9.3), special NIC firmware, proprietary graphics drivers, etc..

IOW, under the 'original' system, security patches and optional packages
showed up *only* in YOU and *not* in YaST's 'Install and Remove
Software' (later 'Software Management') module. The rationale behind this was
the fact that the security patches and optional packages were disseminated
through the mirrors in separate 'update' directories. You could *not*
configure an 'update' directory as a regular "installation source" because it
a) lacked the metadata needed by the 'Software Management' module and b) only
contained security patches and optional packages.

Anyway, these systems have evolved beginning with 10.1 and, since they're a
moving target and I haven't fully absorbed them yet, I'll leave it to others
to clarify the differences.

Carl