RE: [SLE] Software Management -- "Avail. Ver." vs "Inst. Ver." in 10.1
  • From: "Greg Wallace" <gregwallace@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:17:48 -0500
On Sunday, July 16, 2006 @ 9:12 PM, Carl Hartung wrote:

>On Sunday 16 July 2006 21:18, Greg Wallace wrote:
>> Ok. So if I'm following you, in the example I gave, if I went out with
YOU
>> and saw new updates available, canceled out of YOU, and went into
Software
>> management, I would see the "available" versions for the packages I saw
as
>> available for update as having a higher version than the installed
>> packages.

>No, you're conflating 'YaST Online Update' (YOU) with the 'Install and
>Remove
>Software' (later 'Software Management') module.

>In prior releases, at least since 8.x and up through 10.0, 'YaST
>Installation
>Sources' (ftp, http, DVD/CD, hard disk directory, etc.) were completely
>separate from the YaST Online Update ('YOU') 'patch/update' distribution
>process... the former were complete installation sources for the
>distribution
>whereas the latter were devoted exclusively to disseminating security
>patches
>and a small set of optional packages like the MS Truetype fonts,
'Multimedia
>Packs' (9.3), special NIC firmware, proprietary graphics drivers, etc..

>IOW, under the 'original' system, security patches and optional packages
>showed up *only* in YOU and *not* in YaST's 'Install and Remove
>Software' (later 'Software Management') module.

Actually, under 8.1 for sure, whenever I applied a patch via YOU, that patch
would show up under Software Management (or whatever it was called in that
version) under the second version column. The first version column was
always the version from the original CDs. So, I could go into Software
Management at any time and see which packages were still in their original
state and which ones had been patched at some point along the way. That's
why I noticed the difference in 10.1. Based on your explanation, now, once
a package has been updated, you will never again see the version that was
from the original DVD in the left column. Based on your explanation, that's
just the way it is now supposed to work now. I had just never noticed that
difference until today. I think I liked the old way better. I mean, if you
want to know if there's something new out there you can let the Software
Updater notify you (if it's working) or run YOU and see if there are any new
packages available. So, it seems like having that history of original vs
current out in Software Management would still be useful information to
have, but maybe there's an advantage to having it the way it is now that I'm
just not seeing.

> The rationale behind this >was
>the fact that the security patches and optional packages were disseminated
>through the mirrors in separate 'update' directories. You could *not*
>configure an 'update' directory as a regular "installation source" because
>it
>a) lacked the metadata needed by the 'Software Management' module and b)
>only
>contained security patches and optional packages.

>Anyway, these systems have evolved beginning with 10.1 and, since they're a

>moving target and I haven't fully absorbed them yet, I'll leave it to
others
>to clarify the differences.

>Carl

Greg W