Re: [SLE] module missing in the upgraded kernel
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 15:33:50 +0200
On Monday 17 July 2006 15:12, James Watkins wrote:
> Sunny wrote:
> > Hi,
> > 10.0 x86_64 here.
> >
> > I upgraded/updated the kernel to 2.6.13-15.10 (official).
> >
> > It misses the dm-mod module compiled, so I'm really screwed. Non of my
> > LVM volumes can be mounted. And my /usr and /var are on logical
> > volumes :(
> >
> > The previous kernel I used - 2.6.13-15.8 worked OK.
> >
> > Can someone confirm that this is the case?
> >
> > Where from I can get the previous version, so I can recover?
>
> Hi Sunny, have you checked that you have the dm-mod.ko file, I think it
> should be found under /lib/modules/2.6.13-15.10/kernel/drivers/md/ If
> so, it may be that the installation procedure didn't create your initrd
> with all the required drivers. If this is the case, you'll need to run
> mkinitrd, I don't remember the proper syntax off the top of my head so
> check out the man page. There is also a variable in
> /etc/sysconfig/kernel called INITRD_MODULES which determines which
> modules go into the initrd image, check this before using mkinitrd.

He said he had /usr and /var on logical volumes, and you don't need initrd for
those, you only need to use initrd to mount /, since the point of initrd is
to be able to access /lib/modules (which isn't allowed to be on a separate
partition) so all the other drivers can be loaded

The problem must be something else, but until Sunny replies with more details
we can't know

--
Ut supra post festum sunt obscura