Re: [SLE] module missing in the upgraded kernel
  • From: Sunny <sloncho@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 09:42:04 -0500
On 7/17/06, James Watkins wrote:
Sunny wrote:
> Hi,
> 10.0 x86_64 here.
>
> I upgraded/updated the kernel to 2.6.13-15.10 (official).
>
> It misses the dm-mod module compiled, so I'm really screwed. Non of my
> LVM volumes can be mounted. And my /usr and /var are on logical
> volumes :(
>
> The previous kernel I used - 2.6.13-15.8 worked OK.
>
> Can someone confirm that this is the case?
>
> Where from I can get the previous version, so I can recover?

Hi Sunny, have you checked that you have the dm-mod.ko file, I think it
should be found under /lib/modules/2.6.13-15.10/kernel/drivers/md/ If
so, it may be that the installation procedure didn't create your initrd
with all the required drivers. If this is the case, you'll need to run
mkinitrd, I don't remember the proper syntax off the top of my head so
check out the man page. There is also a variable in
/etc/sysconfig/kernel called INITRD_MODULES which determines which
modules go into the initrd image, check this before using mkinitrd.

The problem was, that the dm-mod.ko file was missing with that kernel.
I do not recall any problems during the update. But it was not there.

Anyway, I booted to rescue with the CD, then mounted the filesystems,
chroot, and downgraded to 2.6.13-15.8 and now everything is OK.

I did not had time to experiment and to update again to confirm if the
install is broken, or something else have been wrong the previous
time.

Anyway, thanks to all for the suggestions.

I'll try later today or tomorrow to update the kernel again and will
post my findings.

Cheers

Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)

Windows is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit graphical shell for an 8-bit
operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor by a
2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.