Re: [SLE] How to start a computer remotely - generic Q
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 17:20:46 +0200
Damon Register wrote:

> I wonder if that is from the same people who convinced some
> friends years ago that switching flourescent lights off and on
> made them use double the electricity so they should be turned off
> as little as possible.

I thought the key thing with fluorescent lights was that the turning on
significantly reduces the overall life of the neon-tube, and they are
therefore best left on instead of switched on/off. Maybe that's no
longer correct, or maybe it never was?

> I guess it is the curse of being an engineer; I am going to have
> to measure the power use of my TV tonight.

The 40% mentioned certainly sounds ridiculous. I'm tempted to put a
kWh-meter on my TV too.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich