[Fwd: Re: [SLE] OT - How to start a computer remotely - generic Q]
  • From: Arun Mallikarjunan <arun@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 13:40:43 -0400

--- Begin Message ---
  • From: Arun Mallikarjunan <arun@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 13:07:44 -0400

Heres a suggestion I got
have done this using "Remote Wake on Lan" and
www.dslreports.com/wakeup <http://www.dslreports.com/wakeup>.
THis is what you need

1) Your motherboard needs to support wake-on-lan.
It should have a small connector for WOL.
2) You need a LAN Card with wake-on-lan support.
(Normally it is clearly mentioned on the outer box).
3) Thirdly you need to be behind a router on a private LAN (NAT).
If you connect your m/c directly to the DSL/Cable/Dial-up then
you can't do this.
4) Your router needs to support dyn dns.

Most modern PCs support WOL, if your LAN card doesn't support WOL,
then it's a 15$ investment in another LAN card. If your bios has
options to enable disable WOL, then you need to enable them.

router requirement is a bit tricky, not every one is behind a router,
and not all routers support dyn dns. So you should consider investing
in a router that does this.

Now here is what you need to do.
1) Connect your LAN cards WOL cable to the WOL port on the motherboard.
2) Setup dyn-dns on your router.
3) Setup your router to forward any traffic on UDP port 9 to broadcast
on your NAT subnet.If you are using 192.168.X.X/24, it would be
192.168.x.255
(Note:- Some routers don't support broadcasting of packets, i.e. they
won't
allow the destination to be like X.X.X.255, so a clever trick
is to split your subnet and set the destination X.X.X.127/255.255.255.128
The router thinks it is forwarding it to a specific IP, but in fact it
is a
broadcast.
).

Now to actually turn your PC on, go to
http://www.dslreports.com/wakeup <http://www.dslreports.com/wakeup> and
input the dyn-dns host name of your router. and the MAC address of your
machine's LAN Card (not the routers). and click send, your m/c will
wake up
on receiving the WOL packet.

Notes:-
This is a bit of a complicated setup, so first try to get the local 'WOL'
working. there are some nice GUI clients for that.
Spliting of subnet is required when the router won't forward a packet to a
broadcast address.
Some basic knowledge of networking concepts is required to trouble shoot.
And google is your friend :-)

all the best
bhaskar

I am going to try this tonight and will post my findings tomorrow.

Arun

Randall R Schulz wrote:
> Damon,
>
> On Monday 17 July 2006 07:52, Damon Register wrote:
>> Arun Mallikarjunan wrote:
>>> electronics use almost 40% of their normal wattage even when
>>> switched
>> I wonder if that is from the same people who convinced some
>> friends years ago that switching flourescent lights off and on
>> made them use double the electricity so they should be turned off
>> as little as possible.
>
> What we need there is to move as quickly beyond fluorescents with
> their hideous spectral characteristics to high-output, LEDs for
> home and office lighting. (Not that I'm agreeing with the silly
> contention that switching fluorescents increases their power
> consumption.)
>

>> I guess it is the curse of being an engineer; I am going to have
>> to measure the power use of my TV tonight.
>
> That's a special case of the curse of being intelligent and
> well-informed...
>
> 40% is extremely unlikely for a TV, but a reasonable estimate for a
> clock radio, perhaps.
>
> I've heard estimates that the "vampire" devices--those that remain
> powered when "off" so as to be amenable to remote control--consume
> about a gigawatt in the U.S. What's the total capacity of the
> North American power grid? Clearly it's far above the 2.5 GW that
> would be consistent with the 40% number.
>
> Check out <http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/004379.html>,
> <http://standby.lbl.gov/Data/SummaryChart.html> and
> <http://standby.lbl.gov/Data/SummaryTable.html>. A priori, I'm
> inclined to give credence to a study on power consumption by
> Lawrence Berkeley National Lab.

>> Damon Register
>

> Randall Schulz

--- End Message ---