Re: [SLE] How to start a computer remotely - generic Q
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 02:24:02 +0200 (CEST)

The Monday 2006-07-17 at 18:46 -0400, James Knott wrote:

> The only thing I'm aware of to do that, without external hardware, is
> wake on lan. However, that has to be done from the local network. The
> alternative, would be something like the X10 system, where you can dial
> in with a touch tone phone.

You can wake on almost any interrupt, depending on the bios. If that irq
is the one coming from the modem (ring?), you got it. Or almost, because
the computer must be simply suspended, not powered off.

I think there existed the possibility to wake on ring, and that some BBSs
used it. Not very sure about it.

It the computer has a power up pin, it would be possible to use the ring
line from the external modem to wake up the computer - but any ring, mind,
even for a wrong number. And the power supply would be on full time.

An alternative would be having a router with some shell capacity, like
sshing to it, then activating a wake on lan event to the internal lan
somehow. Is there a router with that capacity?

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.