[SLE] Suggestion to improve OpenSUSE by providing only selected package!
  • From: The Nice Spider <thenicespider@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 22:54:51 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,

I would like to suggest suse team to provide NOT all
product but only
SELECTED package while other package will still
available as an option in
separate CD.

Why? By providing selected package, suse linux will:
1. faster in dev time
2. no need to spend time to answer/correct bug on
un-popular package
3. we can not serve many master, right? you want suse
support gnome, kde,
fox or any windows at same time and same team? why
don't choose only ONE gui
as native X Windows while others as optional?
4. saving space! native/selected package will fit on
less CD/DVD while
optional still available for download on ftp or other
additional cd/dvd.
5. installation time will be faster
6. Yast can serve more package with more configable
(look at the apache/php
which on suse 10.1 only provide too small
configuration, i.e: can not set
these php varibles: magic_quotes, display_error, etc.
In compare to Novell
Server! which all confiration can alter easier!)

i believe the speed of suse linux dev will increase
more than 100% if you
provide only selected package. i pray every day suse
linux become the most
usable, easiest and stable linux in the world.
currently, i can not serve
any except make suggestion.