Re: [SLE] install a new kernel
  • From: Marcus Meissner <meissner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 08:47:21 +0200

> Is there a source of a list of the URLs/sources which clearly,
> precisely, and unambiguously states that for updating all the parts of
> SuSE 10.1 you use these sources, and that if you want to "takes your
> chances" then use the following sources? If there isn't shouldn't SuSE
> fianlly take some time out and prepare such a list(s)? And I do not
> mean the present list of sources and mirrors which is on the Novell
> site- this list is less than informative.

The "official" supported update source is the one you get from
the Online Update Registration.

Those all look like ".......suse/update/10.1/".

Then there is the installation sources pointing to a valid installation
medium (dvd:// or .../inst-source/)

_ALL_ other sources are additional, unsupported sources with potentially
new and untested packages.

software.opensuse.org especially points to the openSUSE buildservice,
the equivalent of the format "supplemental" and is _unsupported_.

Ciao, Marcus