Re: [SLE] Gates [OT]
  • From: "Andre Truter" <andre.truter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 11:53:12 +0200
On 7/18/06, Daniel Bauer <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]

So, if you're a programmer or consultant you should better go on W. It ensures
you to have work all the time, while, if you recommend Linux to your
customers, your customers will be happy, but you're going to die of hunger,
because your applications will still work perfectly even after major updates
of the system.

I suppose that is one way of looking at it.

The way I look at it is that if I can get the client to run on Linux
then I always have new challenges as I don't have to constantly go
back to the one project. I can leave that one and start new projects
with different challenges
This way I broaden my experience and keep on learning new things,
improving myself.

If the project is Windows based, then I cannot expand on it so easily,
as a great deal of my time goes into jut keeping it running.

So, I can still generate income from both situations, but my chances
for growth is better if I run the project on Linux.

--
Andre Truter | Software Consultant | Registered Linux user #185282
Jabber: andre_tux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | http://www.trusoft.co.za