Re: [SLE] How to start a computer remotely - generic Q
  • From: Stan Glasoe <srglasoe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 08:01:43 -0500
On Monday 17 July 2006 19:24, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> The Monday 2006-07-17 at 18:46 -0400, James Knott wrote:
> > The only thing I'm aware of to do that, without external hardware, is
> > wake on lan. However, that has to be done from the local network. The
> > alternative, would be something like the X10 system, where you can dial
> > in with a touch tone phone.
>
> You can wake on almost any interrupt, depending on the bios. If that irq
> is the one coming from the modem (ring?), you got it. Or almost, because
> the computer must be simply suspended, not powered off.
>
> I think there existed the possibility to wake on ring, and that some BBSs
> used it. Not very sure about it.
>
> It the computer has a power up pin, it would be possible to use the ring
> line from the external modem to wake up the computer - but any ring,
> mind, even for a wrong number. And the power supply would be on full
> time.
>

> An alternative would be having a router with some shell capacity, like
> sshing to it, then activating a wake on lan event to the internal lan
> somehow. Is there a router with that capacity?
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Carlos E. R.

Get a Linksys WRT54G/GS/GL or similar router/firewall listed at
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/DD-WRT_Docu_(EN) and flash them. SSH
server and client as well as a WOL client are included. Leave this device
and the DSL/cable modem on all the time and put the computer into whatever
low power mode its WOL will respond to.

There is now a simple method to flash the version 5 and newer Linksys
WRT54G's that are based on Vxworks.

Stan