Re: [SLE] install a new kernel
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 00:47:02 +1000
Marcus Meissner wrote:
Is there a source of a list of the URLs/sources which clearly, precisely, and unambiguously states that for updating all the parts of SuSE 10.1 you use these sources, and that if you want to "takes your chances" then use the following sources? If there isn't shouldn't SuSE fianlly take some time out and prepare such a list(s)? And I do not mean the present list of sources and mirrors which is on the Novell site- this list is less than informative.

The "official" supported update source is the one you get from
the Online Update Registration.

Those all look like ".......suse/update/10.1/".

Then there is the installation sources pointing to a valid installation
medium (dvd:// or .../inst-source/)

_ALL_ other sources are additional, unsupported sources with potentially
new and untested packages.

software.opensuse.org especially points to the openSUSE buildservice,
the equivalent of the format "supplemental" and is _unsupported_.

Ciao, Marcus

Thanks Marcus. I'll check my current sources (channels because I am using smart) to see how they rate against these criteria.

Cheers.

--
"It is well known that among the blind, the one-eyed man is king".

Desiderius Erasmus