Re: [SLE] Home made NAS with SUSE - filesystem questions
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 01:10:23 +1000
Dave Howorth wrote:
HG wrote:
Hi!

I'm planning to build a home made NAS using old harware and SUSE. SUSE
might not be the best OS for this, but it's the only Linux I have
administered at least somewhat.

Ok, what I'm thinking is a old PC with lot's of old disks inside and a
gigabit ethernet (planning to do video editing over it also).

Even gigabit ethernet is WAY slower than local disks. You may find it a pain for video editing. It might be OK to store video there, copy it to a local disk while you edit it and then copy it back. But the bottom line is experience - I suggest you set up the gigabit link and run some tests with it first :)

Cheers, Dave

I haven't seen the original posting so this response is to HG.

Forget about using the gigabit ethernet way of transferring video files let alone trying to do editing of video over such a link. Just transferring a small ~4GB mpeg file will take about 45 minutes (from memory, so don't quote me :-) ) and this using HDs with 16MB caches on both computers at the end of the gigabit connection. After falling asleep while one such transfer was taking place I gave the whole idea away and now only work on the one computer :-) .

(I have a tv card on each computer and it is not realistic to watch anything sent from one machine to the other over this link unless you enjoy looking at garbage on your monitor :-) .)

Cheers.

--
"It is well known that among the blind, the one-eyed man is king".

Desiderius Erasmus