Re: [SLE] Gates [OT]
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 10:31:06 -0800
On Tuesday 18 July 2006 03:37, Daniel Bauer wrote:
> I just sometimes get jealous of those guys that can run to their customers
> every day, having a lot of income just out of W's bugs. And if something
> doesn't work as expected, they can always say: "not my fault, it's a W bug"
> and everybody immediately believs it, even if they screwed it up
> themselves.

You guys need to get out more.

I've been in systems development all my adult life, and I don't
know of anyone who "runs to their customers" every day on
any product THEY developed. If they did, the customer would
soon get tired of them and get rid of the system just to get rid
of the consultants. I've seen this happen.

I have systems I've written, and migrated from IBM 370 mainframes
to DOS PCs, and Novell networks, then to Windows and Linux
servers. The programs are essentially intact from the early mainframe
versions with the only changes being enhancements requested by
the users, and platform mandated changes.

I've moved systems to the PC and never touched them again, they
are still running today in XP boxes even though they were delivered
when Dos 6 was the best you could get.

In the real world, the mission changes over time, and that is why
software developers come out with new versions. Medical billing
systems are a good example. Every little clinic and doctors office
either needs to farm this out or get some software. If they get some
software there are going to be subsequent versions. Laws change.
Insurance changes. Medical science changes.

The need for changes in the software which are mandated by the
user community VASTLY outnumber and are more frequent than the
need for changes mandated by Bill Gates.

I'd put the above sentence in ALL CAPS if it wasn't so rude.

Your contentions seems to be that if the Medical Billing was done
on Linux, the fact that the HCFA 1500 form was redesigned every
few years and Medical Diagnostic Codes and procedures change
yearly, and congress passes law after law would SUDDENLY DISAPPEAR.

I suggest you are not living in the real world, where systems more complex
than a rolodex, and bills have to be paid on time, and new data keeping
requirements arise every year.

--
John Andersen