[SLE] Need file share help!
  • From: Mike Adolf <mlnx@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 16:12:08 -0600
I would like to use samba on my linux machine to share files to my window
client. My goal is for my wireless XP laptop to see a network folder in
which XP files can be backed up and also serve to transfer data between XP
and linux. I currently have samba sharing my local printer with the laptop.

My machine has three hard drives hda (windows NT), hdb (suse 10.1), hdd (new
120 GB drive). The new drive is 1 big ntfs partition. I would like to
repartition to:
hdd1 (partition to share, 20G)
hdd2 (reiserfs for local linux backup, 40G)
hdd3 (60G for testing additional linux distros)

What format should I used for the shared partition. fdisk shows multible
ids for ntfs, which one is correct? I'm guessing id = 7. I would also like
to write to this partition. Can linux write ntfs yet?

Any Samba hints would also be appreciated.

Mike