Re: [SLE] Need file share help!
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 11:38:50 +1000
Mike Adolf wrote:
I would like to use samba on my linux machine to share files to my window client. My goal is for my wireless XP laptop to see a network folder in which XP files can be backed up and also serve to transfer data between XP and linux. I currently have samba sharing my local printer with the laptop.

My machine has three hard drives hda (windows NT), hdb (suse 10.1), hdd (new 120 GB drive). The new drive is 1 big ntfs partition. I would like to repartition to:
hdd1 (partition to share, 20G)
hdd2 (reiserfs for local linux backup, 40G)
hdd3 (60G for testing additional linux distros)

What format should I used for the shared partition. fdisk shows multible ids for ntfs, which one is correct? I'm guessing id = 7. I would also like to write to this partition. Can linux write ntfs yet?

Any Samba hints would also be appreciated.

Cannot help out with samba but re the formatting- to share either use Fat16 or, better, FAT32. Linux can read ntfs but cannot (yet) write to it.

Cheers.

--
"It is well known that among the blind, the one-eyed man is king".

Desiderius Erasmus