Re: [SLE] Gates [OT]
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 07:19:03 -0400
Doug McGarrett wrote:

> I would agree that M/S has certain deficiencies that they
> know about, but I sincerely doubt that any bugs are deliberately
> written into their software. I understand that XP has something
> like 50 MILLION lines of code. If you have ever programmed anything,
> and I have, altho it might have been only a few hundred lines
> at a time, you know that bugs are inevitable.

Some of the things MS has deliberately done, are extremely bad software
engineering. Back in the mid 90's when they were being sued for
bundling IE, they claimed it was part of the operating system and could
not be removed, without crippling the operating system. At that time,
IE was just an app, just like Netscape. However, when W98 came out, IE
was deeply embedded in the OS. This means that flaws in IE can become
flaws in the OS, with serious consequences. Further, you may want to
read up on how Windows 3 tested to see if it was running on DR-DOS and
then created an error message. This was done entirely to make users
think DR-DOS was incompatible with Windows, even though it worked fine
with it. Another "bug" was similar test code in MSCDEX CD-ROM drivers,
which if run under OS/2 would also "fail". Bypass those few lines of
code that tested for OS/2 and they worked fine. MS also has a history
of deliberate incompatibility, sometimes even with it's own older products.

All the above is well documented in the trial transcripts and elsewhere,
and shows MS's contempt for it's own custormers.