Re: [SLE] Need file share help!
  • From: Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 08:26:51 -0400
On Tuesday 18 July 2006 6:12 pm, Mike Adolf wrote:
> I would like to use samba on my linux machine to share files to my window
> client. My goal is for my wireless XP laptop to see a network folder in
> which XP files can be backed up and also serve to transfer data between
> XP and linux. I currently have samba sharing my local printer with the
> laptop.
>
> My machine has three hard drives hda (windows NT), hdb (suse 10.1), hdd
> (new 120 GB drive). The new drive is 1 big ntfs partition. I would like
> to repartition to:
> hdd1 (partition to share, 20G)
> hdd2 (reiserfs for local linux backup, 40G)
> hdd3 (60G for testing additional linux distros)
>
> What format should I used for the shared partition. fdisk shows
> multible ids for ntfs, which one is correct? I'm guessing id = 7. I
> would also like to write to this partition. Can linux write ntfs yet?
>
> Any Samba hints would also be appreciated.
I think everyone missed the point so far. Since this will be shared over the
network, it can be a native Linux file system, and I would recommend either
ReiserFS or EXT3 for hdd1. Samba will export it over the network, and
Windows will see it as a share. Samba (like Windows and NFS) can export at
the directory level. There is a feature in Samba to export Linux users home
directories.
Samba is relatively simple to set up in the generic. I currently use it at
home to share a printer with my wife. The printer is attached to her
Windows system. The only change I made to /etc/samba/smb.conf is the
workgroup name.

WRT: Windows file systems on your Linux system. As correctly mentioned SuSE
10.x can read and write to NTFS partitions, but if you are going to share
files between your native Windows NT and Linux (I am assuming dual boot),
then you may want to consider a small FAT32 partition for that purpose, but
if you don't expect Linux to write into that file system very often, then
NTFS should be fine. Again, this is for sharing files on a dual boot
system.

I would suggest that you take a look
at /usr/share/doc/packages/samba/examples/smb.conf.SUSE if the Samba Doc
package is installed. There are a number of good books on Samba. A number
of years ago, I had all sorts of problems exporting a printer via Samba. I
had even asked two other engineers who were more knowledgable that I on
Samba, and neither of them gave me a working answer. I bought a book on
Samba, read the relevant section while my wife was shopping, and solved the
problem. But, today, Samba tends to work nicely out of the box.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix user group