Re: [SLE] Smart Update problem
  • From: BandiPat <penguin0601@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 10:53:45 -0400
On Tuesday 18 July 2006 22:05, Clint Tinsley wrote:
[...]
> Now the your mileage may vary. Smart is beta, not final product and
> there are some chinks in the armour already showing. First off,
> while Smart is like YOU on steroids (or YUM on Fedora), it is
> realatively fast but here is its downside. In order to decide
> which package update in which repo is best, it downloads tons of
> package updates which it "sorts" through and then installs the best
> "fit" of packages for your system; this extra downloading comes at a
> price of time. Second, Smart has not been consistent in updating
> when compared with YOU. Tonight, as an example, YOU had 5 packages
> for updating where Smart only knew about 3 of the updates. I used
> YOU to update my system. Third, I also have a Fedora Core 5 system
> which I tested Smart on; it did not pickup my Livna repo which YUM
> does so I am sticking with YUM there. Smart is definitely work in
> progress as Beta but you'll want to check it against YOU or YUM
> before taking anything to the bank. YOU is working pretty well for
> me.
>
> Clint
========

Clint,
If you are comfortable with YUM in Fedora, you might also want to stick
with that in SuSE. I have been using KYum recently with the added
advantage of YUM from the command line and find it to be quite
efficient! I've looked a Smart, but wanted a KDE interface where KYum
fits that requirement nicely. I also felt the need to get away from a
mono programmed YOU.

YUM seems to be quite a good program for updating. The only thing I
wasn't prepared for was that it downloads all the update files first
before installing, where YOU does them individually. Otherwise, I'm
becoming a YUM convert! :-)

regards,
Lee